The first school on the present site was erected in 1844. The then landlord, Pierce Creagh, applied to the Commissioners of National Education for permission to build a national school in the area. He felt he boosted his chances by stating that the site was ‘near the crossroads passing through the much-frequented watering place of the Lisdoonvarna Spas’. Permission was given and the school was built without delay, much to the satisfaction of Mr. Creagh.
The 1828 and 1836 Surveys showed two ‘hedge’ schools in the area, one at Raymore (close to the Stella Maris nursing home) and the other at Ballycannoe (about 2 miles north east of the town). Samuel Lewis writing in 1837 stated that several cottages had been recently built in Lisdoonvarna for visitors and these cottages, about 60 in all, was the beginning of the town. As the town grew and became more popular the school also flourished and Mr. Creagh grew in wealth and stature.
By 1897 Lisdoonvarna had the most frequented Spas in the British Isles. Up to 20,000 visitors came mostly for the ‘season’ i.e. August and September. In the meantime other mineral waters had been found and were beneficial to all types of complaints according to eminent scientists of the time. The town grew and the National School was no longer able to cater for the young population. A new school was built in 1897 and the 20th century was heralded in the town with its brand new school. Incidentally both schools were called Rathbane as they were built in the townland of that name.
With Independence in the early 20’s Irish was introduced into the school curriculum and the school in Lisdoonvarna was divided into boys and girls schools. After the depressed 30’s and 40’s the local population began to rise again and it was felt there was need for a bigger more modern school. In 1955 the work was completed and a modern 4-teacher school with indoor toilets was built.This school which is still in use was called Scoil Einde,Lios Duin Bhearna. It is dedicated to Enda of Aran who built a church, Killeeny, in the parish, where its ruin can still be seen.